Attic Draft Cap - Attic Stair Insulation Cover
If your home has a pull down attic stair or uninsulated attic entry door, you are vulnerable to heat loss during colder months. Typical attic entry doors are not adequately insulated and since they don't seal tightly, you can experience a "chimney effect" with cold air spiraling out of your living area. Since it is impossible to roll fiberglass insulation over your attic door once it is closed, Draft Cap is your solution.
Draft Cap eliminates drafts as well as providing R-11 protection, giving you a "1-2 punch" to dramatically lower heating costs. With it's light weight, DraftCap can be easily slid out of the way for access to your attic without the need for tools; and it slides easily back into place when you're done. Installation of this durable polystyrene foam product takes less than 5 minutes and can save you on average $19/month in heating and cooling costs.
Draft Cap Details
- Fits a standard 25.5" x 54" R.O. opening.
- Outside dimensions approximately 31" x 59.5" x 10.5"
- Underside clearance is 7-7/8"
- Weight is approximately 7 lbs.
- May be used in 2x6, 2x8, 2x10, and 2x12 attic ceiling joist construction.
- Has a wall thickness of 2-3/4"
- Constructed of dust-free expanded polystyrene (EPS) foam Made in the USA under Patent Number 6,966,153
- To easily check if Draft Cap will fit, simply pull the attic hatch down so that it is roughly at a 45 degree angle. Then step around the back side of the door and measure just the plywood door or panel (not the molding.) If this measurement is in the vicinity of 24" x 52", then you have a standard-size pull-down stair unit and Draft Cap will fit perfectly.
- Country of Manufacture:USA
- Opening Size:25.5 x 54" R.O. opening
- Outside Dimensions:31" x 59.5" x10.5"
- Patent Number:6,966,153
- Thermal Resistance:R-11
- Wall Thickness:2-3/4"
Ratings & Reviews
Good cover but needs a better description
by Marc C
The cover is well manufactured and sturdy. I do have a problem with the product description. The cover comes in two halves which need to be glued together with a supplied tube of caulk/adhesive and stabilized with small pieces of a supplied tape. But nowhere in the product description is this mentioned, nor does the product picture show a seam. At this price I would have expected the cover to be one piece. The cover is sturdy and well made. I would recommend the cover, but just be aware you’ll need join the two halves. More tape to complement cover the seam on the outside surface would be good.