EcoFoil - What Is Radiant Barrier Foil Insulation
What is a radiant barrier?
Radiant barrier is an insulation system that utilizes a reflective foil insulation to block radiant heat energy opposed to conventional mass insulations that work by absorbing convective and conductive heat energy.
What classifies as a radiant barrier?
According to the Department of Energy, for a product to be classified as radiant barrier it must have an emission of 10% or less and a reflectance of 90% or more. A radiant barrier utilizes a foil surface to reflect radiant heat rays back toward the source.
A foil surface has two properties that enable it to reflect radiant heat energy.
- Reflectivity - to bend back; to give a backward turn to; to throw back; especially, to cause to return after striking upon any surface; as, a mirror reflects rays of light.
- Emissivity - amount of heat which is "emitted" or radiated off of a surface to the surrounding air.
Our radiant barrier products have an emissivity of only 3% and a reflectance of nearly 97% which exceeds the Department of Energy’s minimum classification requirements.
Ecofoil radiant barrier is 99.9% pure Aluminum adhered to linear-low density polyethylene fabric. The purity and strength of these materials create a strong, lightweight, durable and virtually tear-proof material.
For a radiant barrier to work properly the reflective side must face an open air space of at least 3/4”.
Radiant Barrier Benefits
- Foil insulation reflects 97% of radiant heat making your home or building more energy efficient.
- Radiant barrier is unaffected by humidity or moisture
- Class 1 / Class A fire rating (EcoFoil radiant barrier passes the newest fire test in the industry, ASTM E84-2009)
- Non-toxic / non-carcinogenic materials
- Environmentally safe
- Fiber free, creating no allergens
- Durable and lightweight - will not stress building infrastructure
- Easy to install and maintenance free
- Clean installation/no respirators or special clothing required