Add Attic Stairs Insulation with an Attic Stair CoverDraft Cap attic stair insulator is an attic stair cover that seals off your attic stairs to create a more efficient thermal barrier between your attic and living spaces. This attic stairway insulator is a simple way to shave a bit off of your energy bill. Attic stair insulation is a super simple DIY fix for any home or business owner. If you are looking for an insulated attic ladder, the Association for Better Insulation reports that the average homeowner saves over $19 per month just by adding attic stairs insulation covers to these access points. Download the report on this attic stair insulator (PDF).
Check out this video for more information and installation instructions for the Draft Cap:
Benefits of an Attic Stairs Insulation Cover
- Draft Cap is an EnergyStar certified attic stairway insulator.
- The Draft Cap attic stair cover meets all local and federal building codes for attic access panel insulation.
- Draft Cap attic stairs insulation saves money by reducing heat loss in the winter and heat gain in the summer through the attic stairwell.
- This attic stair insulator is a lightweight attic stair cover, easy to assemble and place.
- The Draft Cap attic stair insulation cover has an R-11 insulation value and meets UL-94HF-1 specifications for flammability.
Specifications for Draft Cap Attic Stair Insulator
- Draft Cap attic stairs covers fit a standard 25.5" x 54" R.O. opening.
- Outside dimensions: approximately 31" x 59.5" x 10.5"
- Underside clearance: 7-7/8".
- Weight: approximately 7 lbs.
- Works with 2x6, 2x8, 2x10, and 2x12 attic ceiling joist construction.
- Attic cap wall thickness: 2-3/4".
- Constructed of dust-free expanded polystyrene (EPS) foam.
- Made in the USA under Patent Number 6,966,153
Using the Draft Cap Attic Stairs Insulation Cover
The Draft cap attic stairs cover is shipped in two sections of the formed polystyrene foam and your package will include adhesive and tape that you use to secure the two sections of the draft cap together. There is no hardware required to install draft cap attic covers, simply maneuver the assembled draft cap attic ladder insulation cover through your attic stairway opening and position it so that the cavity rests over the attic stairway opening. To access the attic space, push the attic stair insulator to the side; replace it when finished using the ladder. To ensure that the most air is stopped, the attic stair insulation cover acts as a solid tent and does not have a zipper. For top results, pair the attic stairway insulator with radiant barrier for maximum energy savings. Enjoy a more comfortable temperature in your home or office with insulated attic stairs.